Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Today I get all my parts for my new Pc
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:41 am 

Here is a list of all the parts,

http://tinyurl.com/8da2v8 - Extra internal hard drive for Images/backup

http://tinyurl.com/yzcw6sp - Case that Scott Recommends but in the Mid Tower because I like more room

http://tinyurl.com/m7kdah- Optical drives - 2 of these

http://tinyurl.com/2jy2lc- Power Supply recommend by Scott, I guess I got one of the last ones because it seems they are now "Deactivated" meaning Newegg will no longer carry them.

http://tinyurl.com/cdjxd3 - Two of these I'll be running in Raid 0

http://tinyurl.com/yfqbc7z- Mueller recommended Motherboard

http://tinyurl.com/6jw5qe- 4 of these, got them while they were 39.99 each thanks to Scott!

http://tinyurl.com/nxl285 - Cpu

http://tinyurl.com/yg4v3gj - Video card I picked on my own

http://tinyurl.com/ch75ow - 5 of these to make things easier to organize in the case(and because I like shiny new cables)

http://tinyurl.com/rd3bka- Cool case fan the pushes a lot of air, is quiet, and easily cleanable with pop out removable blade

http://tinyurl.com/ychm5at - Operating System

Total Cost including shipment to me $1469.90

I have all the parts except for my last order which includes the OS, Case fan, and Sata cables.

This stuff really adds up quite fast, I probally could have gotten a cheaper video card but I figured that one is mid-range and I do like to play games once in a while. Also I like that it has the various output ports and that I can have dual displays with it.

I may start building today but I will take my time and most likely post here if I need assistance. Thanks again Scott for all the recommendations.

Post subject: Re: Today I get all my parts for my new Pc
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:11 pm 

Ok first "hickup". I didn't realize that with this case which is tooless that there is only one plastic piece for one hard drive. I did call Enermax and was told by one guy his "Rma manager" could send some extra pieces. So then I was on hold for 10 minutes and when the Rma Manager finally picked up he told me that they don't build the cases there and they don't have any extra parts. I was told "it is a cost effective case and that is why it is like that". Oh well. So I guess I will have to put the other drives in the old fashioned way. Kind of upsetting, makes me wonder why this case is recommended. I think I've almost forgoten what a hard drive screw actually looks like. I'll have to go rumaging through my spare parts....

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

If you watch the "Preparing the Chassis" segment of the DVD video included with URPCs 19th, you'll see that I recommend discarding those plastic brackets and installing the drives using conventional screws instead (which are included with the case). Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:21 pm 

Quote:
This stuff really adds up quite fast

I agree...Also, thanks for the Enermax Case update!! When it arrives, I'll know what to do. And, I see Scott's new post in regards to the screws. DLH

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:16 pm 

Sorry Scott, I just opened up the case a few hours ago when I posted that. I'm going to pop that DVD in right now and start working on it in a half hour or so. Thanks again for the recommendations I'm sure it will be a great pc.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:10 pm 

Ok Scott I'm a little more than halfway through the "Lets build a pc" section of the DVD. I see some differences in the way you apply the Arctic Siler and the way the company that makes it instructs you how to use it.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_quad_wcap.pdf

Ok I have a brand new boxed CPU that I'm guessing has the thermal interface material pre-applied. I also have a tube of arctic silver 5 like you use in your video. What do you think would be easier for me, since I do not have the experience you have. I purchased the tube of arctic silver a while ago, but I don't often have the money to build new pcs and only use it occasionally. Still I have it so I think it would be a waste not to use, so should I clean off the pre-applied stuff or just use it and save the arctic silver?. I also have there Arctic clean product which works really well and smells nice....

Also I don't have a spare removable motherboard pan so I am gonna have to install the motherboard in the case first. It would have been nice to see you do it that way for the people that don't have the spare removable motherboard tray/pan.... Also I would have liked to see maybe more on I/O shield installation since I messed that up pretty bad last time if you remember that?. I posted about it on here, in fact I'm gonna search for that thread so I can refer to it before I even touch the I/O shield this time!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I see some differences in the way you apply the Arctic Siler and the way the company that makes it instructs you how to use it.

There are often many ways to do something. Either method is fine if done correctly.

Quote:
...should I clean off the pre-applied stuff or just use it and save the arctic silver?

Use the pre-applied TIM (Thermal Interface Material).

Quote:
Also I don't have a spare removable motherboard pan so I am gonna have to install the motherboard in the case first. It would have been nice to see you do it that way for the people that don't have the spare removable motherboard tray/pan.

That was done intentionally, otherwise the camera wouldn't have been able to see what I was doing with the CPU, heatsink, and memory installation.

Quote:
Also I would have liked to see maybe more on I/O shield installation since I messed that up pretty bad last time if you remember that?

Installing the I/O shield is one of those "finicky" things that becomes easier the more you do it. Just make sure the grounding tabs don't interfere with the connectors on the motherboard when you slide the board into place. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:50 pm 

Ok Scott, thank you again for your help. At this point I have everything removed from the case including the power supply, plastic pieces to hold the drives and the front panel. I'm skipping down to the video, "Installing the motherboard" since I must do that first.

It looks like with this I/O shield everything already pretty much bent where it should be bent....Except the smaller tabs touch the connector shield on the oposite side of the case. The box with all the audio connections the little tabs are not on top the box but instead in front of the connector is where they touch and when I screw in the motherboard they will be even closer ensuring close contact. I think this part is going much easier for me this time. I don't have my phone with me so I can't take a picture but I am almost positive it is correct. I printed out that other thread where I was asking about the I/O shield last time and have been refering to it. So I guess on to processor installation.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:37 pm 

I got stuck on the I/O shield again. It seems I was wrong about it being easier for me this time. I don't know why it is so difficult for me. Its almost as if the motherboard doesn't go far back enough to push the little tabs down enough. The tabs for the USB ports should be on the front of the little boxes correct?. Are there any that should be on the back of the little boxes, in other words should you be able to see them if you look down into the case from the top?. I've been bending them back and fourth for hours on end. Funny how this one thing got me stuck again.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:22 pm 

One of the middle motherboard holes now looks as if the metal contact part is faded and it almost as if it is smuged somehow. None of the other holes look like this but this particular one needs me to press down slightly on the board to get the screw started. I must have taken the motherboard out and put it in at least 2-3 hundred times already. I will try again tommorow...I have new found respect for people that do this for a living!.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:28 am 

I think I will RMA this board for now. Maybe I need to try a different case and I/O shield....

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:58 am 

Ok this board is all packed up and ready to ship in a few hours when the pack and ship place opens up. Really I don't think it fits correctly in the case. The pins on firewire and usb block of connectors have to be pushed out far enought to touch the face of the shield on the motherboard. When the holes on the motherboard are lined up correctly there is a lot of room between the board and the back of the case/motherboard shield/shiney part. If I push the motherboard against the the I/O shield so it is flush the holes do not line up at all.

I've got to try a different case or maybe the Micro Atx version of this one. Ok well I now have the Micro Atx version of this case on order. I found a much better deal than at directron or Newegg. So for now I am gonna wait for my new MicroAtx Case and replacement motherboard.

I don't doubt I have jumped the gun here. I have very little patience and like things to go smoothly the first time.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:37 am 
Site Admin

The board fits fine in the case, they are both designed to industry standard dimensions. In your case I'd recommend you remove the I/O shield, and build the system without it. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:57 pm 

Well I am gonna get the MicroAtx version anyway. Just because I'm crazy like that. I remember I didn't have a problem with the old Foxconn cases you use to recommend. Maybe I should have looked for one of those. Anyway would you be able to post pictures of a similar or the same motherboard in this near the I/O shield, so I can actually see how it is installed correctly and what I have been doing wrong?.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

Just throw it away! The system will work fine without it. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:11 pm 

Ok I got my new case today, yes I knew I didn't really need it but got a good deal anyway. Now I will have a spare case an two spare PSUs!.

This case has somewhat different tooless conectors but only has it for the optical drives, they are rubber-like pieces attached securely to the case and they have a pin or screw that pops up and out. I think I like the smaller size case better. Scott I hope the power supply I selected will fit in this case?. With the 3 hard drives in the front will I need a front fan to cool them?. The first two are going to be in Raid 0 and I will have an extra one just for images and backups so the extra will only run when sceduled backups are being run.

I have attached some pictures of the new case. Tommrow I will start again on this. Don't worry I won't go nuts over the I/O shield. I have new one and will not bend it or anything at all, just put it in and let it be!.As long as none of the tabs are inside the connectors I will leave it alone!.

Attachments:
vostokpin2.jpg
vostokpin2.jpg [ 39.31 KiB | Viewed 2271 times ]
vostokpin.jpg
vostokpin.jpg [ 61.49 KiB | Viewed 2268 times ]
vostokmicro.jpg
vostokmicro.jpg [ 66.25 KiB | Viewed 2268 times ]
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

With 3 hard drives I'd say you probably don't need a front fan, especially if you space the drives in the 4 bays such that two are in the bottom two bays, then put the third drive in the top (4th) bay with an empty bay inbetween. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:18 pm 

Thanks Scott. I've finally got it almost finished. The motherboard is in, and the I/O shield installed correctly. Processor and heat sink are installed and Ram. I'm following your video from U&R PCs 19th edition. I only build a pc when I purchase one for myself or on rare occasions for someone elese. I actually seem to make things out to be a lot more difficult than they really are. Once again I would like request more video from you because this one indeed has helped me along the way. Still hoping for a new version of U&R PCS A Digitial Seminar.

As of this post I am about to watch "Drive installation & Wrap-Up" and follow along as I build my pc.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:30 pm 

After opening my hard drives I see printed on the drive "Jumper pins 3 & 4 to enable PUIS or power up in standby". The drives didn't come with any jumpers on them, should I enable this?. I am not going to at this time since I have no clue what it is...

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:05 pm 

Ok I have all hard drives and Optical drives in. I used the orange tooless snaps for the two optical drives. Them seem to work a lot better than the removable contraptions on the Mid-tower version. The hard drives are screwed in though and this version doesn't have the removable plastic parts for the hard drives- maybe they realized how flimsy they were and removed them and redesigned the ones on the top for the optical drives?.

Edit: Hahaha never mind on those orange things, I spoke too soon!

Pulled them all out and replaced with screws.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:47 pm 

I had to remove the two bottom hard drives to connect the front panel connections. On the connectors the white is the negative correct?. I hope so....

Ok heres a question for you Scott. The case fan I ordered for the back of the case has not arrived yet. In that order also was a bunch of Sata cables and Win7 Pro 64 bit Oem. Since I don't have that order yet, what can I do in the meantime?. Should I put the case fan that came with it back on for now, and maybe start it up just to see if the front panel connections are correct?.

I don't think it will be more than a few days before I get my order. Newegg shows it as shipped but for some reason there is no tracking number listed yet.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:21 pm 

Power supply is Huge. I barely got it in there. I bundled up what I didn't use and secured it together with velcro strip. Then I took the bundle and pushed it under the two optical drives where the floppy drive would go. It takes up all the space down from second optical to where a second floppy would go. There really is no other place or room for me to put it anywhere elese.

There was so little room that I had to unscrew the optical drives and push them back out of the case and route the power cable threw case and then push them back in.

Is this going to cause a problem other than with the way the inside of the case looks?

The bundle rests on top of the third hard drive.

I've pulled the bundle as tight as possible to make it smaller so I don't know what to do next. I don't have digital camera except on my one single cell phone that the wife happens to have with her.

I'll take a picture of the inside of the case later or tommorow. Oh also I have the connection to my video card - the cord to the psu bent a little and resting on the front of the third hdd, I moved it from resting on the bottom.

I really hope the cords on the Pc Power & Cooling PSU were built to withstand heat since the bottom of the bundle is resting ontop of the third HDD, that is the hdd I am going to use exclusiviely for images...

To give you an idea of how much space I have I measured from the back of the psu to the back of the Optical drives. It is a little less than 2.5 inches.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:14 pm 

So I have it as organized as its gonna get for now. The only I have left to do install the sata data cables and case fan when they arrive from Newegg. Still I say there was something wrong with the other case that I have. The motherboard fit right in this case, but with the other case there was one standoff where I had to press down on the board in while screwing down the motherboard. It must be warped or something.

One thing I've got to say is I like the small size case especially when I have to carry the thing. However the larger case is easier to manage inside, this case is easier to manage on the outside....The only problem with this one is that cable management is a pain in the you know what.

I have never used or seem such a huge power supply though, the thing must must ad 30 or more pounds to the case!.

Post subject: Pictures
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:07 am 

Here are some more pictures. I did the best I could for now for cable management with the massive amount of cables coming off the psu.

Attachments:
insidecase1.jpg
insidecase1.jpg [ 73.5 KiB | Viewed 2271 times ]
above case2.jpg
above case2.jpg [ 73.94 KiB | Viewed 2278 times ]
above case.jpg
above case.jpg [ 61.42 KiB | Viewed 2271 times ]
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

Congratulations on the new build! Cable management can be difficult, but what you've done looks fine. And more important than how it looks is how well it all runs. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:14 pm 

Thanks a lot Scott!. I could not have done it without your help and advice. On Monday the 18th I get my case fan, some smaller thiner sata cables and Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OEM. I will post an update when I install.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:56 am 

Well I have had my pc complete with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit installed for the past few hours. I only had a few problems. One was with Acronis True Image 2010 not working correctly so I had to press the reset button a few times. I finally fixed that by looking through the Acronis forums for a solution. Also for some reason the second USB port on the front of the case wasn't working. That ended up being fixed by just disconnecting the connection to the motherboard and reconnecting. I'm guessing it wasn't pushed in securely.

I'm happy I didn't have to rearrange the front panel connections, luckily I got it right the first time!.

One thing I have to tell you Scott though is that I called tech support for Enermax to make sure I had the correct color matched up to the correct polarity....When I was talking to them they said and I quote -"No one has ever made a standard for the front panel connections". I didn't say anything, but I'm pretty sure there is a standard as I have heard you say that there has been one for years and years!.

I'm so much happier with this smaller case. Its so much easier to handle than a mid-tower case...Sure the cable management is a pain but its really worth the effort.

I am really impressed with this PC, perhaps because I haven't had a new pc since early 2006. Technology really seems to be progressing faster than I can keep up!.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:21 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I only had a few problems. One was with Acronis True Image 2010 not working correctly so I had to press the reset button a few times. I finally fixed that by looking through the Acronis forums for a solution.

That's it!?? I don't get to hear the punchline? Details please. <g>

Quote:
When I was talking to them they said and I quote -"No one has ever made a standard for the front panel connections". I didn't say anything, but I'm pretty sure there is a standard as I have heard you say that there has been one for years and years!.

Yes indeed there is, and I avoid any products that do not follow it (e.g. Asus). I'm glad the build worked out well in the end. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware