Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Fuzzy drop-down menu fonts on a website
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:40 am 

Hi Scott,

I performed a clean install of XP Home a couple of weeks ago. Before the clean install, I did NOT have this problem:

There is a website that I frequent (http://www.microcenter.com/index.html) which has drop-down menus under several tabs (e.g. "Computers," "Computer Parts," etc.). When I click on those tabs, the fonts in the drop-down menus are fuzzy and unclear (still readable, though). I have adjusted ClearType settings in IE8, tried four different video drivers for my video card, and made sure that my LCD driver is up to date. Nonetheless, I have had no success in clearing this problem.

The problem is specific to my desktop computer (the fonts look crystal clear on my laptop). The problem shows up on both of the monitors (both are LG 1933TR) connected to my desktop. Both of my monitors are connected to my video card with DVI cables (and no VGA adapters). My video card is a VisionTek Radeon x1950 Pro XGE (AGP) (http://graphics.visiontek.com/video/1000/x1950pro_XGE_agp.html).

Do you have any other ideas as to what might be causing the problem?

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad

Post subject: Re: Fuzzy drop-down menu fonts on a website
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:50 am 
Site Admin

Make sure you turn off ClearType (I call it "FuzzyType") in both the OS and the browser. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:04 am 

I turned all "Fuzzy Type" off (in OS and IE), but having ClearType on or off doesn't make any difference for this particular problem.

Maybe this is related...maybe not: I have also noticed that there are certain webpages that do not scroll smoothly. It is as if they redraw as my mouse incrementally scrolls the page. It is noticeable on at least these two webpages: http://www.nasa.gov and http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=TopTechSTD.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again,
Brad

Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:21 am 
Site Admin

All of those pages appear clearly and scroll perfectly on all of my systems, but my default settings have ClearType and Smooth Scrolling disabled. Since you say it worked properly before, it seems to be a software setting that changed with your new install. Let me know when you figure out what it is, Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:33 am 

Could this perhaps be a missing font problem?

Also try resetting IE8 master settings

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/4084/ie8 ... -settings/

Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:41 am 

Another friend suggested possible missing fonts. My previous installation didn't include any fonts that didn't come with Windows or Office and that's how I did this install, so it doesn't make sense to me that it would be the problem. I'm also suspicious that these few webpages that load/scroll slowly are symtoms of the same problem. It's odd to me, however, that it only happens with certain pages.

Having just completed the clean install a few weeks ago, IE8 should have its most important settings already at default.

I just finished trying another 6 different drivers for my video card and had no success fixing the problem. I went back to the installation CD that came with the card and installed all the default software and I'm just going to have to call it "good" for now. I can't really do any further testing because I don't have a spare LCD or video card. I guess until such time as have another LCD or video card, I will just have to be satisfied with my current install.

Thanks for the help and advice Scott and David.

Brad

Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:08 pm 

Problems solved!

A friend of mine suggested that I take a look at the zoom percentage at the bottom right corner of the webpage. Mine was set to 105%. I changed it to 100% and ALL of the problems mentioned in this thread were solved.

Lesson learned: Always look for the simplest solutions first!

Nonetheless, I sure enjoyed changing video drivers 11 times! :shock:

-Brad

Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Lesson learned: Always look for the simplest solutions first!

Agreed, but in this case I would have never even thought of that, since I don't believe I've ever changed that setting in my life! Thanks for letting us know the solution. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:30 pm 

Oh my Gosh! I had green tints on some of my fonts spread out sporatically on your site, usually at the top section of the page. I just noticed this a few days ago. I was just browsing through the posts and found this solution before I had even decided to find the source of the evil green zombie fonts. Somebody had set my screen to 95%. Changing it back to 100% did the trick.

Thanks guys!

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS